Friday, October 22, 2010

Pork with Sweet 'Mui Choy'


I was rummaging through my fridge for something and found this packet of Mui Choy (Chinese preserved Mustard Cabbage) hidden behind everything else. I have forgotten completely that I even had it in the first place and I cringed to think how long it has been sitting there. Luckily this Mui Choy is well preserved under thick layers of sugar & salt and looked fine to me so I was determined to use it before it is being forgotten again. I made 'Stewed Pork with Mui Choy', a rustic Hakka dish which is salty sweet and best served with plain rice or white porridge.


Ingredients:
600 gm Pork (Pork Belly is preferred but I used lean pork meat instead)
about 300 g Mui Choy
5  Dried Chilies (optional)
1 bulb Garlic (bashed to remove skin)
2 Tbs Kicap Manis (Dark Soya Sauce)
dash of sesame oil
salt to taste
sugar to taste

Method:
1) Take the Mui Choy, unfurl the leaves and wash under running water. Make sure sugar/salt  and other grit are washed off thoroughly from every wrinkle & creviches. Soak for 15 minutes, then squeeze dry and chop to small pieces.
2) Heat up some oil in a wok/deep pan and saute the garlic, chillies and Mui Choy and till fragrant. Add in the pork, stir fry  till slightly brown. Add  in the the kicap manis and mix well. Pour in enough water to cover the pork. Braise till sauce is a little  thicken. Taste and add salt and sugar to liking, if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...