I have been captivated by this Spongy Banana Cake (from Wen's Delight here ) the first time I saw it. It seems this cake is very popular among asian bloggers and has received many prasies. So, does it live up to it's name?
Here it is, fresh out from my oven.
It turned out beautifully. As it cooled, it didn't shrink or sink in the middle as I thought it would - as what happened to most of my sponge cakes. Really beyond my expectation. Spongy, moist and airy. Good to eat with a cup of tea.
Spongy Banana Cake
(Recipe adapted from Wen's Delight here )
150g Eggs (Room temp - About 4 large eggs)
200g Banana (mashed)
150g Cake flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Baking soda
100g Vegetable oil
1/4 tsp Rum
1/2 tsp vanilla
1) Preheat oven to 160 degree C.
2) Grease & line a 8" round tin with baking paper.
3) Sieve flour, baking powder & baking soda together. Sieve twice & set aside.
4) Whisk eggs, sugar & banana at max speed till stiff/ribbon stage.
5) Gently fold in flour gradually.
6) Take 1/3 of the batter, mix with the veg oil. Then, pour back into the remaining batter and combine well till batter is shiny & flowing.
7) Bake for 40 - 45mins.
8) Remove from oven. Leave to cool for 5 minutes then turn out, remove baking paper and cool completely on wire rack.