Sunday, October 2, 2011

Carrot Cupcakes



Sometimes I can be a little mad, obsessed even. You see, I've been on a quest to find the perfect carrot cake recipe for the longest time and this particular carrot cake recipe, I've made it not once, not twice but three times!

The first time, I made it into cupcakes, I was quite happy with the result but thought they were a little too oily  and the spice were a little much. The second time round, I reduced the oil and adjusted the spice flavouring, the texture came out a little dry. Not wanting to give up, I gave it a go again. This time keeping the original amount of oil and adjusting the spice only, and instead of cupcakes I made a 2 layer 8 inch round cake. Though the flavour was good, it was a little dry. *Sigh* 

Alas this recipe was not meant to be all I'd hope for. Maybe I'm just too fussy. A perfectionist, maybe. Will I ever find that darn perfect carrot cake recipe? All I'm looking for is a carrot cake loaded with carrots which is not too spicy, not too sweet, not too oily, does not reek of bicarb, not too dense and most importantly moist but not overly wet. Am I asking too much? LOL.

Even though this carrot cake may not be the holy grail of carrot cakes in my book, but you know what I'd still give this recipe a go, but in cupcake form only. It seems to have the best texture this way. 









P/S - The cream cheese frosting from Martha Stewart was perfect. Creamy and just the right level of sweetness.



Carrot Cake
(adapted from Cake Mistress here)

Ingredient
1 cup Brown Sugar (about 150g)
1 cup Vegetable Oil
3 Large Eggs
Pinch Salt
1/2 teaspoon Bicarb of Soda
2 cups Self Raising Flour (240g)
2 cups finely grated Carrot (200g)
1/2 cup Walnuts, finely chopped (about 50g)
3/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Cream Cheese Frosting
(adapted from Martha Stewart here)

Ingredient
250g cream cheese, room temperature
115g unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
125g confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
zest of 1 orange, finely grated

Method

To make cake:

1) Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2) Beat sugar and oil until thick, then add 1 egg at a time and keep beating for a few more minutes.
3) Add salt, bicarb soda, carrots, flour, walnuts and spices. Mix with wooden spoon until all combined.
4) Pour batter evenly between cupcake pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until light golden and cake springs back when touched in the middle. Baking time might vary depending on your personal oven.

To make frosting: 
Place butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Beat until smooth and well blended. Sift in confectioners' sugar, and gradually beat until smooth. Add vanilla and orange zest, stir to combine.

4 comments:

  1. love the combination of colors in your photo! the orange and white napkin looks perfect with the cupcakes :D ps: where did you get ur cake stand, it looks beautiful!

    just wondering if you've tried the carrot cake recipe from pioneer woman or the very popular one from all recipes? I've tried both of them (reducing the oil by about 20%) and i love them - they have been my go-to carrot cake recipes for a long time already! hope you find your holy grail soon, so that I can 'kope' the recipe from u hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Janine! thanks for the suggestion on pioneer woman's carrot cake. i'll give it a go one day. the allrecipes one, i've tried that a couple times... great texture but i just wish it didn't have that dreaded bicarb aftertaste. i'm so fussy huh? LOL
    'pssst' that beautiful cake stand... it's just a plate stacked on top of an overturned bowl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. miss perfectionist?? haha! you are probably one. I think few of the bloggers also tried the one from joy of baking. I have also one in my blog, i quite like it but i do not know if will suit a perfectionist's tastebuds. keep trying and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lena! haha! i'll keep trying for sure and it'll be even better if you are here to help me eat all those 'test' cakes! frankly speaking, i'm quite sick of carrot cakes for now. been eating too much. lol!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...