Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies



In all my years of home baking, I bake cookies the least as compared to cakes and breads. Cookies somehow just don't excite me as much, they just don't have that show-stopper appeal in the final outcome as compared to beautifully iced cakes and tall golden breads and I just find them tedious to make. Yes tedious ... strange right?

Anyway, my Daughter  has been suggesting and bugging me to bake chocolate chip cookies for some time now and I finally gave in, after all it's the school holidays now and it'd be great to spend some quality time together doing something that's fun for her instead of her gluing to the computer the whole time. This is a rather simple chocolate chip cookie recipe I found here. I find that this recipe can go both ways for crunchy cookies or the soft centered chewy types, depending on your preference, you just have too adjust the baking time.


Chocolate Chip Cookies
(makes about 30 small & 6 large cookies)
Ingredients:
125g butter, softened
90g caster sugar
90g light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
150g self-raising flour
150g plain flour
250g bitter-sweet chocolate chips (I used a combination of bittersweet and white chocolate chips)

Methods:
1. Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
2. Add egg and vanilla extract and beat well to combine.
3. Mix in the flour then fold in the chocolate chips. (At this point, I have divided the dough into 2 portions to make two type of chocolate chip cookies, one with bittersweet chocolate chips and the other white chocolate chips).
4. Roll cookie dough into balls and place on lightly greased tray. Flatten and bake in preheated oven 175 deg C for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool and store in air-tight container.

Note: I find that I need to bake a lot more longer than the baking time stated to produce crunchy cookies. At 15 minutes baking time my cookies turned out soft & chewy in the middle with slight crispness on the edges.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...