Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Coriander Pesto



Here's a variation of the traditional basil pesto using coriander. Fragrant and very versatile, this coriander pesto sauce can be used with anything your imagination permits. Tossed with pasta or smeared on bread, drizzled on salads or topped on grilled meat, used as dips or marinade, really the uses are endless!  


Coriander Pesto Recipe

Ingredients:

2 handfuls coriander leaves
1/3 cup toasted almonds
2 cloves garlic
4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoon grated parmessan cheese (optional)
salt & black pepper to taste

Method:

In a food processor, blitz toasted almonds and garlic first. Then add in the rest of the ingredients and blend . 
Done!

Easy peasy.



Tossed with pasta.


Topped on my open-faced tomato, avocado & onion sandwich.


5 comments:

  1. ooh i love basil pesto but have never tried coriander before - must be equally good :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, interesting choice to use coriander. Curious on how it tastes. I'd been wanting to try laksa pesto for sometime now, perhaps I should!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janine & foodie Alan, I used coriander because it is so abundantly available and so cheap. Fresh basil is really hard to come by in this small town of mine. I can't really describe the taste, maybe a little 'medicinal', slightly pungent, somewhat like celery? I don't like celery but I love coriander. If u like coriander u'd like this pesto. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive heard of arugula/rocket versions before too. gonna try this one out this weekend!

    Oh here's an idea, wash the roots thoroughly, and use them in the pesto as well. the Thai's coriander roots in their cooking alot. and I've been told it is the most aromatic part of the plant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always shy away from making pesto because of the availability of sweet basil. What a good way to use coriander :)

    I have an award for you, do pick it up from my blog, cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...