Friday, February 3, 2012

Chinese New Year Cookies Galore

Hello! It's been some time since I've updated this blog. I've been away to my Hubby's hometown to celebrate the Chinese New Year festival with my in laws. It was good catching up with family members, old and new. Now that the celebrations are over and I'm back to my usual routine ....and also couple pounds heavier, I'm happy to have finally found some time to blog again. 

 
Here are some pics of the Chinese New Year cookies I've made.
  

I was going to pass making pineapple tarts this year but a trip to the market changed my mind. Pineapples were just so abundant and very fresh. Besides, Chinese New Year just wouldn't feel complete without some homemade pineapple tarts. I tried out a new pineapple tart pastry recipe from an old magazine and I'm happy to say I found THE one! For now that is. Until I find a better one, this recipe is what I'll be sticking to.  I like how the texture of the pastry is very short, buttery and milky tasting. It didn't leave that awful floury aftertaste like other recipes I've tried.  I suspect cornflour might be the culprit. This because all the recipes which had the floury taste had cornflour. Just my thought. What do you think?


Pineapple Tarts

Pastry:
180g unsalted butter, softened
70g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla
300g all purpose flour
50g milk powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 egg, beaten for egg wash

Pineapple Jam Filling:
Recipe here


Method:
1) Beat butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract until fluffy and light. Sist the flour and milk powder together, and stir into the creamed butter. Add in beaten egg, mix until dough comes together. Cover with cling wrap and chill in the fridge for 2 hours until the dough is firm.
2) Preheat oven 170C. Divide into balls and wrap in the pineapple filling. Roll into balls and insert a clove on top each balls. Brush with beaten egg.
3) Bake 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Cool completely and store in airtight container.

Note: I was too lazy to  make balls and made rolls instead. I made a couple pieces of balls and they were really good, better than the rolled ones I must say.  I like how the pastry is nice and thin and evenly distributed, enrobing the pineapple filling. Make the balls if you're not lazy. It's worth the effort.



Utterly rich and artery busting, not for the health conscious! Hence, this is only a once-a-year affair. My Daughter G absolutely loves these balls.



Crispy crunchy Walnut Cookies
Recipe here.
Added chopped walnuts instead of almond.

11 comments:

  1. The pineapple pastry looks like it has a lot of milk powder in it! Did it taste very milky?

    I'm also put on weight from the festivities >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I would like to share a blog award with you. Do hop over to my blog to get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi sotong, just wondering what happened to you..whatever you're doing, all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sotong,

    Your blog is amazing! I'd love to be in touch with you.
    Would it be possible for you to drop me an email at janecjj_92@hotmail.com?

    Thanks,
    Jan Jee

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Really nice Tips. Thanks to sharing wonderful Tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really interesting, I hope everybody lick this Post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Halo Sayang mau cari Agen Main poker online ? tapi yang aman dan terpercaya ?
    Menang 10 juta ? 20 juta ? 50 juta ? bahkan 100 juta ? Pasti Kami bayar sayang ku

    Gak percaya ? pasti dong lagian belum daftar dan main di sini

    Ayo daftar SEKARANG http://KASTILPOKER.COM Agent Poker Online Terpercaya

    Enaknya main di KASTILPOKER.COM cuma Rp 10 ribu doang sudah bisa bermain di KASTILPOKER dan dapat bermain banyak game seperti CEME, POKER, CAPSA, DOMINO dan yang lain nya
    # Ada Super Bonus Vaganza Total Hadiah Hingga Ratusan Juta Dengan hadiah Utama 1 Unit Motor KAWASAKI NINJA 250 SL
    # Jackpot Selalu ada Setiap Harinya
    # Proses Deposit dan Withdraw Sangat Cepat
    # Bonus refferal dari 15%- 100% seumur hidup ( harus daftar melalui link referal bos baru bisa dapet referal ya )
    Server Tercepat IDNPLAY tanpa bot Player vs Player

    Chat Langsung Dengan Kami
    WA : +855884290569
    BBM : kastilpoker
    LINE : kastilpoke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get Connect With The Best Chemical Consultants to Solve Your Industrial Problems. Over 500+ Chemical Industrial Consultants Across India.

    Visit: https://www.solutionbuggy.com/sb/chemical-consultants.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Autospin88 - Situs game slot online terbesar, terlengkap dan terfavorit.

    Ada banyak promosi yang sangat menarik dan merchandise keren yang hanya ada di Autospin88.

    Autospin88 pasti Autowin..

    Klik langsung di sini ya guys https://www.daftarautospin88.net/

    Klik langsung di sini ya guys

    DAFTAR AUTOSPIN88
    PROMOSI AUTOSPIN88
    SLOT ONLINE AUTOSPIN88

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...