Monday, November 8, 2010

Green Tea Butter Cake


Maybe it's the time of the year, towards the year end when the wheather is wet and cold, I am in the mood to bake and eat and eat and EAT! I guess humans are no different like animals. It's only natural for animals to load up on food  in preparation for hibernation in the colder months.

I've flipped thru my recipe file and my collection of cookbooks for something to bake, and found this Green Tea Butter Cake from the cookbook "My favourite Dainty Desserts" by Kevin Chai . I've baked green tea chiffon cake before which was light and very well received by everyone who tried it and I thought a  green tea butter cake would be just as good, just more dense & buttery.


As you can see from the photos, the colour from the green tea turned out very muted and wasn't as bright as I  had expected, and definitely not as green as the one shown in the cookbook or those I've seen in blogs.    As much as I had hoped, this butter cake didn't wow me. It was just okay, nothing bad and nothing spectacular... just ho-hum. I kept the cake in a container and shoved it in the fridge and thought nothing of it. When I reheated a couple slices the next day, I was dumbfounded. It tasted better and it actually tasted good. How peculiar! My Daughter even finished a slice, a feat for someone who proclaimed "yuck" when she had her first bite just the day before. LOL!




Green Tea Butter Cake
(Recipe taken from "My favourite Dainty Desserts" by Kevin Chai)

Ingredients:
270g butter
250g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
240g plain flour
10g green tea powder
1tsp baking powder

Method:
1) Preheat oven to 180 Degree Centigrade. Line one 8 inch square pan with greaseproof  paper.
2) Beat butter, sugar and salt untill light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.
3) Sift flour , green tea powder and baking powder together and gently fold into the butter mixture. Spread batter into the cake pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.

Note: I halved the recipe and added 2 tablespoons of milk. I've also separated the eggs. The egg whites were beaten to a soft peak stage and  then folded into the batter at the very end.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...